Monday, January 31, 2011

Café George V Au Paris

120 Avenue Champs Elysees, 75008
Paris, France.
Tel: 01.45.62.33.51

My husband and I were finally able to save enough money to fulfill my lifelong dream of visiting Paris. As a little girl  I would watch the movie Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn or the latest version with, Julia Ormond and  as they would go through their training in Paris I would fantasize about my first trip to Paris. Our visit was amazing and I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world. Initially we had difficulty learning how to navigate the Metro system. However after speaking with a friend ( thanks  you so much Luciana)  and downloading the Metro App to my Iphone ( thanks you so much Iphone 4 and AT&T)  we were able to navigate through the busy city.

After a long day of viewing the sites and taking an endless amount of pictures we walked down the Champs des Elysees searching for a place to eat. There were a number of awesome restaurants however our budget dictated that we looked for something affordable. We finally stumbled upon Café George V. A cute spot with your classic outdoor sitting area and a semi-modern interior. Although it was about 45 degrees the restaurant had the outside sitting area sectioned off and covered by a canopy. There were also mini heaters hanging from the canopy so it was quite warm. We were able to sit outside on a cool January day. Across from us a couple was heavily expressing PDA as most people do in Paris.

Although Je parle un peu de Francais, the waiter heard my American accent and immediately asked us what we wanted in English. I had a delicious cup of tea while my husband ordered the espresso. Of course my husband, being a devote carnivore decided to order the Foie Gras ( I expressed sympathy for the poor goose).  I ordered the Halibut with string beans and a side of mash potatoes. The halibut was perfect with a delicious crème sauce that I was able to pour over or dip my fish in. I think the Crème sauce might have been a roasted pepper sauce with Crème Fresh? I am not 100% sure.  The string beans were fresh  crisp and delicious and the mash potatoes were creamy and flavorful. We also ordered a glass of white wine, which  as you can imagine was perfect because it was French. My husband spent the better part of the evening trying to convince me to try the Foie Gras ( Also known as force fed goose)  insisting it was one of the best things he ever tasted,  I humbly refused.

I was pleased with the price, my meal came to about 14-17 Euros  and my husbands was about the same . All in all our meal came to about 34,00 Euros or $46.00 U.S.  When we visit Paris again hopefully we can visit here and try something different. The restaurant is located ideally between the Tour Du Effiel and the Arc du Triomphe, thus for a tourist it makes a great pit stop.

My only complaint would be that there were quite a number of people smoking in and out of the restaurant ( I really appreciate the smoking ban in Philadelphia now). While we were eating I had to adjust myself so that I would not be down wind from a few smokers and even after adjusting ourselves we noticed that we still smelled of cigarette smoke when we left. However, if you can get past the smoking I would highly recommend Café George V to anyone that decides to visit Paris.  

No comments:

Post a Comment